SDA Controlled Trips
Divers may be given a great opportunity to attend competitions at various venues throughout the year, both in the UK & overseas. When first starting to enter dive competitions they are usually 1 day events so parent are able to take their child. However, when moving up the diving pyramid, some skills & age group competitions are held over several days & as not all parents are able to take their child to every competition, the SDA has appointed a Trips Group to arrange “SDA controlled trips”.
Each competition will publish a set of conditions which the Director of Coaching discusses with the coaches to decide who should be invited to each competition. A formal letter is then emailed to each parent with the relevant details.
Each trip will have a Team Manager, chaperones, minibus drivers and coaches. The number of each depends on the trip & the number of diver’s, but usually it’s similar to ratios used on school trips, ie 8 children to 1 adult. All members of the support team are members of the SDA & ASA, and have a SDA DBS (previously known as a CRB) as well as have undertaken safeguarding (child protection) training. In addition, Minibus drivers have undertaken a Midas course (as recommended by HCC) and at least 1 member of the team has a first aid certificate.
The cost of each trip varies depending on the location, number of days of the competition, number of diver’s etc.
Sample of Prices for 2013:-
- 3 day UK competitions £160
- 4 day UK competitions £250
- Dublin £350 – £400
- Other overseas trips £500
- Hire of minibus plus petrol
- Hotel accommodation – in the UK, we use Premier Inn hotels which have 2 or 3 divers of the same sex, approximate age or training group. Support team are located at either end of the corridor & divers are advised of their room numbers. For overseas competitions, we may use local hotels or hostels.
- Food – breakfast, lunch & evening meals are all included within the cost. Breakfast & evening meals are eaten at the hotel or restaurants such as Pizza Hut, or Frankie & Bennys. Healthy snacks are also provided & divers are encouraged to keep hydrated throughout the trip.
- Food, transport & accommodation of the support team is included within the cost as these people have given up their time to take care of the diver’s.
- Coaches are also offered a small amount of compensation for away trips
Code of Conduct
All divers, the support
team and any parents watching the competition are expected to follow the SDA code of conduct.
The SDA are always looking for volunteers to help on trips, some trips are in school holidays whilst others are not. If you are able to give up your time to help, please email firstname.lastname@example.org for more details. Please also look out for training opportunities arranged throughout the year.
If you are unable to go on trips but would like to help organise the trips beforehand, ie flights, minibuses, restaurants, hotels, lunches, equipment, competition entries, word or excel lists etc, please also contact Lisa Brodie.
Trips may include:
|Jan/Feb||Eindhoven Diving Cup||Eindhoven, Netherlands||Elites, Age Group + some skills|
|March||Shipley Novices||Bradford||some novices, pre-skills & skills|
|Usually May||Nat Skills Final (NSF)||To be agreed||skills|
|April holidays||G-Star||Leeds||Elites, Age Group + some skills|
|July||Nat Age Group Finals (NAG)||usually Sheffield||Age Group|
|July||NSA Diving Cup||Sofia, Bulgaria||Elites, Age Group + some skills|
|July||International Diving Trophy of Barcelona||Barcelona (trip runs every other year – next due 2014?)||Elites|
|November||SDA V BERLIN interclub competition||Berlin (trip runs every other year – next due 2013||Elites & some age group|
|November||Irish National Diving Champs||Dublin, Ireland||age group & skills|
|November||TID Games||usually Leeds||Some TID|
|November||Kingfisher Challenge||Luton||Elites, Age Group + some skills|
For Senior Nationals (elites) which are usually held in January and Junior elites which are usually held in April/May, the venue is agreed each year but divers always taken by their parents for both competitions.